Friday 17 June 2005

Is anybody out there?

I think so. You may suppose that no-one is paying the blindest bit of attention to anything I say, but a certain national daily newspaper appears to be logging in and paying close attention.

The Daily Telegraph no less. Yes indeed. Today in her comment piece, Alice Thomson can be found to have published a number of thoughts that you read here first.

Consider these remarkable coincidences:

In my post "Conservatism transcends race, creed and sexuality" yesterday, I said:

"Theresa May is the straw that broke this camels back. Today she reveals herself as another "potential candidate" for the Tory leadership. And her big idea - that the Conservatives should be nicer to women and should discriminate in their favour. Tim Yeo's big thought is to pursue the "centre-ground" and Alan Duncan thinks that by having a gay leader, the party will show it has changed. That's it. That is their big idea."

Alice Thomson wrote today:

"Andrew Lansley hampered his chances by saying that the Tory party should change its name to the Reform Tories. Theresa May's main claim to the title is that the party is too "macho". Alan Duncan is not macho, but he has put everyone off by comparing the party to a pair of frilly M&S knickers."

Not a million miles apart, I think you'll agree!

In my other post of yesterday "A leader, a leader. My kingdom for a leader", I wrote:

"The very essence of leadership is that you have to have a vision and it's got to be a vision you articulate clearly and forcefully on every occasion.

Alice wrote today:

"Ideally the winner would combine both their skills of will to win and calm management. But they need one other attribute. They need to provide a vision of the future."

Quality blogging or what. I rest my case. Read her excellent piece in full - "Suddenly Tory MPs want to win again."

Watch it, Alice. I'm onto you!!

No comments: